Tuesday 1 July 2014

28th June 2014 - Mercedes AMG

Mercedes CLA AMG


Germany is home to numerous brands of manufacturers and divisions for fast cars. One of the most popular brands of them all is Mercedes together with their hardcore division known as AMG. Over the past few years AMG has been known in making hardcore and beefed up versions of current selling models like the Mercedes C, E, S class models and many others. These cars are well known to have massive engines like the V12 and V8 Bi-Turbos (twin-turbocharged). Now they have introduced a newer version known as the CLA45 AMG.



It was unexpected as there was no official unveiling but the CLA45 AMG was in Kuching about less than a week ago. It was 28th of June on a Saturday which was my birthday so my Dad and I went to have a look at the new CLA.



 I think this car is one of the prettiest cars Mercedes is currently producing. In the front it looks completely new and modern. But at the back I think it looks even more exquisite with the wavy brake lights together with the curvy body. With the CLA45 you get all the AMG packages such as the multi-spoke alloy wheels and red accents on the side mirrors and the radiator grill. Overall I think it is a very pretty car and I think it looks even better when you encounter face to face instead of looking at it through your laptop or smart phone.



In the interior, it looks pretty straight forward; you don’t get a spaceship console with so many buttons which I quite like. You also have contrasting red stitching to the black interior which gives a nice sporty and young touch. In the front it is quite easy to get into especially if you are an average height Malaysian like me so goes the same to the back seats but you have to duck a little as you get in because of the curving structure.



I think the most intriguing thing about this vehicle is the engine. Usually we know Mercedes AMG builds massive engines like the over 6-litre sized V8s and V12s. The CLA45 AMG however has just a 2 liter turbocharged engine (hand-built) which breathes out 360 horsepower and 450Nm of torque. The 0-100kmph is said to be staggering 4.7seconds. It does have a lot of power for a considerably small heart compared to its other brethrens. With the aid of the AMG sports exhaust it still sound and feel like an AMG-tuned Mercedes, that brutal, angry, growling noise. In Malaysia, the calling price is around Rm390,000 which to be honest I would say “cheap” for an Mercedes AMG because I was expecting it to be at least half a million ringgit.



It has also been brought to my attention that the CLA is doing very well in Malaysia especially the standard CLA200. In Kuching alone, there are currently over 30 orders within a month since its official unveiling. The CLA45 AMG on the other hand around now 3 said by the salesman. In addition, the CLA200 has currently a very long waiting list which can last almost a year.
Until when I can get you an official test drive will I return with more details of the CLA whether it is the 200 or the 45 AMG model. For now I think what I really love most about the CLA is the fresh new look. It has this elegant and modern feel to it when you see it. The CLA would be an ideal car to have in the towns like Kuching as it is decently sized and a big boot and decent occupancy for four people.  I just love the design of this car. It is just a very pretty thing!


If I do buy such a car I think silver is just not the right color for such a young sporty sedan. I think this car will look good in bright violet or in pacific blue and with black contrast to the Mercedes emblem and grills. But that is just me!

No comments:

Post a Comment